Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 6 of National Downshifting Week: Reclaim Your Time

Day 6 of US National Downshifting Week is about enjoying life. Have you ever wanted to dabble in something, but never seem to make time for it? With so many great ways to unwind your mind and simply feel good, it's just a question of giving yourself permission to give something a try. Greeting card making, painting, gardening, music; whatever rings your bell, make some noise!

A new hobby doesn't require a ton of investment, either. Often you can go onto Freecycle or Craig's List and find just what you're looking for. You can also post a "Wanted" ad if you don't see what you're looking for. I have had nothing but good luck getting rid of things I no longer needed (and getting things I did) using both resources. Positive experiences on both sites also reinforce my sense that the world is a pretty cool place, and that the more connections we make with each other the better and better it gets.

Conclude your week with the Downshifting Pledge; you might even hang it up somewhere to remind you to live your life deliberately, each and every day:

"I hereby pledge to slow my life down a gear for the benefit of my health, my well being, my environment and for those around me whom I dearly love."


The US Downshifting Manifesto ©2008, Susan Donohoe and Tracey Smith

1 comment:

Jack said...

Definitely hoping to focus on reclaiming my time more and more. In the middle of a life-changing process, where this is the most importance pillar.

J

http://adventuresinvoluntarysimplicity.blogspot.com/