Thursday, May 24, 2007

Philanthropy through your food!

Here's an interesting way of thinking of local foods: as a way of spending your money wisely.

Those with philanthropic tendencies can use the local food market, through shopping farmer's markets or demanding local foods in grocery stores, as a way of giving to their community and supporting healthy neighborhoods. This has the added bonus of helping philanthropists eat better, too!

This is one of many ways that shows that you don't have to be rich to be a philanthropist -- it's all about the choices you make in life. For more articles about philanthropy and areas we care about, visit www.philanthromedia.org.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I like to think of the "extra" money I spend on local and organic food as my "entertainment dollar," since I don't go out to eat that much. Now I will get to think of it as my "philanthropic dollar" too!

On Wednesday, June 27th all 17 of the Whole Foods Market stores in Massachusetts will donate 5% of their total sales to the Federation of Massachusetts Farmer's Markets. That will be a great day to shop and stock up on your "staples" that you can't get at the farmer's market/CSA near you. Try as I might to cut out processed foods, my kids love those 365 cereal bars and I love chips and salsa. Local food will only get my family so far. My new favorite quote is "Perfect is the enemy of the good," by the producer of "An Inconvenient Truth." I do my best to be good without trying to be perfect.